Sunday, September 9, 2012

My favorite granola bars!

So, I am on this no processed food health kick and have experimented with NUMEROUS granola bars made from scratch.  Now, don't get me wrong, a good KIND bar always makes my day a little better, but just imagine.....a warm, gooey, delicious, home-made, fruit, nut and chocolate filled granola bar WITH protein and no-added sugar!!  YES! (okay, I put a little honey it....)

I've based my recipe off of one that I found and loved from My Green Diet.  Her recipe is fantastic! I just changed it a little bit for my desire (less honey, no sugar, and I added chia seed for some extra protein and nutrients).

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Oh and did I mention..I'm currently eating it right now :)



Yes, that is a piece of the granola bar, and yes I already took a large bite out of it :)


By the way make sure you wait the FULL amount of time to let the granola bars cool, or they will come apart.  Trust me, when I was REALLY in the mood for these, I was deeply disappointed with the result. :( 

Ingredients:


  • 1 2/3 cup of rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup of oat flour (made in food processor from regular rolled oats or you can buy it at the store)
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup of any type of chopped nuts (in a food processor)--I've used almonds, pumpkin seeds, cashews, and sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup of any type of chopped dried fruit (in a food processor)--I've used apricots, raisins, dried blueberries and dried cranberries, but use your faves! 
  • 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips or chopped pieces
  • 2 teaspoons of chia seeds
  • 1/3 cup of all natural smooth peanut butter (I've never used almond butter with this, but it might work!)
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tbsp of canola oil (I've used coconut oil too and this worked out great!)
  • 1/3 cup of honey (or maple syrup or brown rice syrup--I've used honey)
  • 1 tablespoon of water

(Taken from website) 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing it to hang over the edge. Lightly grease the parchment paper and the exposed pan with cooking spray.

Stir together all the dry ingredients, including the dried fruit, nuts, and chocolate. In another bowl, mix remaining ingredients, stirring well. Mix together dry and wet ingredients until fully incorporated. Spread in the prepared pan and press firmly down to shape it together in the form of the pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, until browned around the edges. It will still feel a little soft in the center. Cool for 20-30 minutes in the pan. Then, using the overhanging parchment paper, lift out of the pan and set on a board to cool completely (make sure you do this! I was impatient and the bars crumbled much more--they need to cool to stay together!). 


                                      

Cut into bars and store in an airtight container for a week or so.



No comments:

Post a Comment