Sunday, September 9, 2012

Cinnamon Apple Muffins

Yum! Cinnamon Apple Muffins.  I made these muffins using Elana's Pantry cookbook.  If you are gluten-free, definitely invest in this! My only caution is that she uses A LOT of agave nectar.  I cut down the amount in my recipes because I'm not as huge of a fan of it.  I've also substituted honey, which I felt better about :)






Ingredients:

2 cups of almond flour (blanched)
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
1/2 tsp of baking soda

1/4 cup of arrowroot
1/4 tsp of celtic sea salt
2 medium apples diced into 1/4 in pieces
1/4 cup of grapeseed oil
1/4 cup of agave nectar (or honey)
1 medium-large egg

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.  
2. Put baking soda, almond flour, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, and sea salt in a large bowl and mix.
3. Put the rest of the wet ingredients in another bowl and whisk them together.
4.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
5.  Spoon in the mixture into each muffin cup.
6.  Cook muffins for 30-40 minutes.
7.  Let cool for 30 minutes (I forgot to do this last time and they all fell apart!).

ENJOY!  Again....these were AMAZING!

4 comments:

  1. Hello :) Love your site! I've been making these a while and love them! Curious, though, if there is something I'm doing wrong. Mine are pretty crumbly. They hold together but when I break it in half it does so VERY easily. I wouldn't say they fall apart, but on the verge. I also sub honey as well as coconut oil instead of grapeseed oil. Could that be it? The ones in your picture look great - like there is a denseness to them. My other thought was maybe my egg isn't large enough and should use two? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Staci! I'm glad you love the site! I didn't get a crumbly texture and actually my muffins were really moist! Coconut oil is much thicker than grapeseed oil as well, so that could be it. Did you melt the coconut oil? I have actually started to stay away from grapeseed oil because I've read more and more that it is not very good for you. I'm going to try this recipe again this week but try with coconut oil. Thanks again for your comment!

      Delete
    2. One more thing I forgot to mention. I have to go back and try this again, because I realized that I put down 1 tsp of baking soda. It should be 1/2 tsp. And I also didn't put that the recipe calls for arrowroot powder. To be honest, it's been so long, that I need to try it again with and without the arrowroot. That could also be the reason. The last thing I thought of was whether you let it cool for 30 minutes? That is so critical. Thanks again!

      Delete
    3. HA...I didn't catch the missing arrowroot powder either :) I have Elana's cookbook and that is where I originally found the recipe, but she doesn't have it on her website, which is how I found you. So, I use the arrowroot powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Yes, I do melt the coconut oil and let them rest for 30 minutes. I can't imagine what they would be like if I didn't. Well, I'll just keep trying. I'm definitely not known for my baking skills ;) Thank you!!!

      Delete