Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sweet Potato Soup

Sweet Potato Soup


Great, FILLING, and very flavorful sweet potato soup. This cookbook is fantastic and has many more delicious soup/stew recipes! I highly recommend it.

So, I've been really into soup lately.  I can make a ton on the weekend before a week of work, it fills me up incredibly, and it is so flavorful!  

I really enjoyed this soup, but have to be honest, that I'm not sure how I feel about the orange in it.  I might try to take it out the next time I make it.  So, that's up to you.  Let me know what you think!

Ingredients:
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups of Vegetable Brother (book recommends homemade, but I used an organic container from Whole Foods)
Zest and juice of 1 orange (I might take this out next time)
1 1/2 cups of almond milk unsweetened, plain
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Heat up the olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.  Place the onion in the pot and cook it for 10 minutes (or until translucent).
2. Then, add the garlic, ginger, thyme, nutmeg and cinnamon.  Allow that to cook with the onions for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the sweet potatoes and toss throughout the ingredients in the saucepan. Let cook for 5-6 minutes.
4.  Pour in the vegetable broth and increase heat to high heat until brought to a boil.
5. Lower heat to a simmer for 20-25 minutes (or until sweet potatoes are soft, tender).
6. Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender with a tight-fitting lid, covered with a towel.  
7. Return the soup to the pot and add the almond milk.  Cook an additional 5 minutes, or until heated through, and season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment